CareFlight operates a fleet of B200 King Air aircraft.
The King Air is an American built aircraft and is widely used for aeromedical work. Powered by two gas-turbine engines, it has four-bladed propellers, a pressurised cabin and retractable undercarriage. The King Air is an all weather, day/night capable aircraft.
CareFlight’s King Airs have been extensively modified to undertake aeromedical missions in Australia. Modifications include:
- wide cargo doors to allow for easy movement of patients into and out of the planes
- electro-pneumatic loading systems for quicker, safer and smoother stretcher loading
- special medical flooring, storage units and oxygen systems
- purpose-designed radios and navigation systems for CareFlight’s long flights to access patients at very remote locations
- cabin configuration to accommodate two stretcher patients, two seated patients and the aeromedical team