Worker burnt in gas bottle explosion

A 40-year-old was airlifted by a CareFlight rescue helicopter after suffering serious facial injuries in an explosion at an industrial site in Western Sydney this afternoon.

A rapid response CareFlight rescue helicopter was tasked to St Mary’s shortly before 3pm, landing in a vacant block opposite the industrial facility.

It is understood the man was working with an oxy-acetylene gas torch when the regulator exploded.

CareFlight’s specialist doctor and intensive care paramedic rushed to join NSW Ambulance paramedics treating the man.

The medical crew then accompanied the man by road ambulance to Royal North Shore Hospital, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Tuesday 1 November 2016, 5.10pm Sydney time

Related coverage:

CareFlight: the next life we save could be yours.