A 29-year-old man has been taken to hospital in a serious but stable condition after he was injured while smoking a shisha pipe at a residence in North Parramatta this afternoon.

It’s understood the man was with family and smoking the traditional Middle Eastern water pipe when it caught fire. He suffered burns to the airways, chest and arm.

CareFlight’s Rapid Response Helicopter was tasked at 2.18pm, landing shortly after in a park near the scene.

NSW Police escorted CareFlight’s critical care medical team to the scene where NSW Ambulance paramedics were providing initial treatment. NSW Fire & Rescue crews were also on scene.

CareFlight’s specialist doctor provided additional treatment at the scene, intubating the man and placing him in an induced coma to stabilise him.

The man was taken to Concord Hospital’s specialist burns unit by road under the ongoing treatment from CareFlight’s aeromedical team.