Boy airlifted to hospital after choking incident

Wednesday 5 February 2020

An eight-year-old boy has been airlifted to hospital in a serious condition after he choked on his food at a Wahroonga school and lost consciousness.

CareFlight’s Rapid Response Helicopter was tasked shortly before 12:00pm and landed in the grounds of Knox Grammar School seven minutes later where NSW Police escorted the aeromedical team to the scene of the incident at a nearby school.

Paramedics were providing initial treatment to the boy and CareFlight’s clinical team intubated the boy and placed him in an induced coma to stabilise him.

He was then airlifted in a serious but stable condition to the Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick under the ongoing care of CareFlight’s aeromedical crew.