Friday 26 June 2020
A 24-year-old man has been electrocuted at a construction site in Eastern Creek when testing wiring safety at the site.
The electrician lost consciousness for three minutes and went into cardiac arrest and sustained burns to his hands.
A safety officer was onsite and used a defibrillator to restart the man’s heart.
CareFlight’s Rapid Response Helicopter was tasked by NSW Ambulance at 10:45am and after an eight-minute flight, landed on a nature strip close to the scene of the incident. NSW Police escorted CareFlight’s specialist doctor and NSW Ambulance critical care paramedic to the site where NSW Ambulance paramedics were providing initial treatment.
CareFlight’s specialist doctor assessed the man’s condition and prepared him for transfer to hospital. The patient was transported by road with NSW Ambulance under ongoing observation by CareFlight’s clinical team. He was taken to Westmead Hospital in a stable condition.
CareFlight’s duty doctor said: “Time was an absolutely critical factor in this particular incident, and it was due to the quick action of bystanders that increased his chances of survival. The man was extremely lucky to have a trained safety officer onsite to use a defibrillator and revive him.”