The AW139 is an Italian-built, state-of-the-art, multi-role helicopter.
This IFR, all weather capable helicopter has a five-blade main rotor, a four-blade tail rotor and retractable wheeled tricycle landing gear.
One of the most technologically advanced EMS platforms, the AW139 surpasses all other medium twin-engine helicopters in operational range, performance and power. Its flight management system allows for the most complex weather navigation problems to be more simply resolved. This makes it ideal for the extreme hot-and-high environments and harsh conditions of the Northern Territory.
The AW139 is winch equipped and has night vision goggle technology.
With the largest passenger cabin in its class, it has the space and performance to carry two stretcher and four seated patients. It is manned by a crew of four.
- Engines: 2 x Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6c-67c turboshafts
- Max speed 310 km/hr (167 knots)
- Cruising speed 260 km/hr (140 knots)
- Range 833 km (450 nmi)
- Max altitude 6,096 m (20,000 ft)
- Safe endurance 3 hrs 30 mins
- Max weight 6,800 kg
- Crew 4
- Fuel capacity 1,670 kg Jet A-1 (refined kerosene)
- Fuel burn 420 kg/hr
- Total length 17 m
- Rotor diameter 14 m
- Winch cable length 75 m
- Weather radar
- Four Axis autopilot with full Flight Management System (FMS) functionality
- Ambulance, police and military multi-channel communications radios
- Integrated satellite and 3G mobile phones
- Fully night vision goggles (NVG) compatible
- Winch with two person carry capacity up to a max of 272 kg